Marion, PA (August 19) -- An 85-year-old woman boldly went for
her gun and busted a would-be burglar inside her home, then forced
him to call police while she kept him in her gun sights, police
just walked right on past him to the bedroom and got my gun,"
Leda Smith said.
Smith heard someone break into her home Sunday afternoon and grabbed
the .22 caliber revolver she had been keeping by her bed since
a neighbor's home was burglarized a few weeks ago.
Leda Smith, 85, says it was "exciting" to stop a burglar
inside her home, adding that she hopes she stopped a crime spree
in her Pennsylvania neighborhood.
"I said 'What are you doing in my house?' He just kept saying
he didn't do it," Smith said.
After the 17-year-old boy called 911, Smith kept holding the gun
on him until state police arrived at her home in Springhill Township,
about 45 miles south of Pittsburgh.
The boy will be charged with attempted burglary and related offenses
in juvenile court, Trooper Christian Lieberum said. He was not
identified because of his age.
was exciting," Smith said. "I just hope I broke up the
(burglary) ring because they have been hitting a lot of places
around here." --
See Life According To Leda Smith.
See Granny Stops Burglar. See BroadPoints.com.
See Life According To Andrea Mitchell. See I Fight Like A Girl.
See Women: Wimps or Warriors. See Life According To Joan Baez.
The Absence of A Gun
Wasp and Hornet Spray
Is this an effective alternative to
shooting a life-threatening assailant?
you don't have a gun, here's possibly a more humane albeit controversial
way to 'make someone's day' who intends to victimize you: Wasp
has been reported that this stuff can shoot up to twenty feet
away and it's pretty accurate, unlike in the case of pepper spray
when you have to get too close to an assailant whereby they can
overpower you. Wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until
they can get medical attention for an antidote.
Some folks reportedly keep a can(s) where it's handy around the
house and in the office. It doesn't attract as much attention
as a can of pepper spray would, and they claim it's more effective
and inexpensive. -- See Snopes
By Regina Brett
Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio
celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life has
taught me. It is the most requested column I've ever written.
My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column
1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
8. It’s OK to get angry with God. He
can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
12. It’s OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no
idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t
be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don’t
worry; God never blinks.
16. Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living,
or get busy dying.
17. You can get through anything if you stay put in today.
18. A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write.
19. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. But the
second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t
take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie.
Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over-prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: “In
five years, will this matter?”
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your
friends will. Stay in touch.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything
you did or didn’t do.
35. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
36. Growing old beats the alternative – dying
37. Your children get only one childhood. Make it memorable.
38. Read the Psalms. They cover every human emotion.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s,
we’d grab ours back.
41. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it, now.
42. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or
43. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
44. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
45. The best is yet to come.
And 5 lessons to grown on.
46. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
47. Take a deep breath. It
calms the mind.
48. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
50. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.
Few More Thoughts
is not a "spare wheel" that you pull out when in trouble;
it is a "steering wheel" that directs us in the right
path throughout life.
Do you know
why a car's WINDSHIELD is so large & the rear view mirror
is so small? Because our PAST is not as important as our FUTURE.
So, look ahead and move on.
is like a BOOK. It takes a few seconds to burn, but it takes years
in life are temporary. If they are going well - enjoy it, they'll
not last forever. If going wrong, don't worry, they can't last
are like Gold! New friends are like Diamonds! If you get a Diamond,
don't forget the Gold! Because to hold a Diamond, you always need
a base of Gold!
we lose hope and think this is the end, GOD smiles from above
and says, "Relax, sweetheart, it's just a bend, not the end!
When GOD solves
your problems, you have faith in HIS abilities; when GOD doesn't
solve your problems HE has faith in your abilities.
A blind person
asked St. Anthony: "Can there be anything worse than losing
your eye sight?" He replied: "Yes, losing your vision."
When you pray
for others, God listens to you and blesses them; and sometimes,
when you are safe and happy, remember that someone has prayed
not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES; it takes away today's PEACE.
-- See How to reverse aging.